- Exhibitions and Events
- Past Exhibitions
- 2008: Antique Chinese Porcelains from Eight Dynasties (206 BCE to 1912)
- 2009: Will Barnet Prints / Gerson Leiber Watercolors
- 2010: Japanese Woodblock Prints from the Leiber Collection
- 2011: DRAWINGS DRAWINGS DRAWINGS: Recent Works on Paper by Gerson Leiber
- 2012-2013 Judith Leiber – An American Journey : From Artisan To Fashion Icon
- 2014-2015: THE MARRIAGE OF TRUE MINDS ~ GERSON AND JUDITH LEIBER
- 2016 Two Exhibitions: Gerson and Judith Leiber
- 2020 – The Garden of Friends
- Past Exhibitions
- Judith Leiber
- Gerson Leiber
- The Garden
Born in Brooklyn in 1921, Gerson showed promise in his high school art classes. Later, while stationed in Hungary in the army, he took classes at the Royal Academy of Art in Budapest. After the war, he studied at the Art Students League–painting with Louis Bosa and printmaking with Will Barnet. Later, at the Brooklyn Museum’s art school, Gerson began engraving with Gabor Peterdi. His prints won many awards and were featured in many one-person shows, including exhibitions at Associated American Artists and the Alex Rosenberg Gallery.
To support the couple during his art studies, Gerson’s wife, Judith Leiber, designed handbags for major manufacturers. In the 1960s, Gerson persuaded Judith to produce her bags independently, and they opened their own business based on Judith’s designs. The now-famous company reflects the couple’s shared taste in art.
The Leibers bought a farmhouse in East Hampton, Long Island, with a garden that became an inspiration to Gerson. He designed and manipulated the natural shapes to form a living, growing cubism, and these forms and colors became the focus of much of his art. Inspired by gardens, nature, and aspects of the world of fashion, Gerson explores these themes in his present cubist and expressionist work.
Gerson maintains his lifelong commitment to printmaking. He taught etching and engraving at the Printmaking Workshop established by Robert Blackburn. Emphasis in his work turned to painting in the mid-50s, but he continues to produce and exhibit his prints.
- Back To The Garden - Portray Magazine
- FIU News – Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU to launch Judith Leiber: Master Craftsman
- Christie’s – The best museums for handbag collectors
- Long Island Weekly – New Nassau County Museum of Art Exhibition Highlights All Four Seasons
- Newsday – ‘The Seasons’ is in full bloom at Nassau County Museum of Art
- New York Post - The WWII love story behind NYC’s sparkliest handbags
- New York Magazine - Hillary Clinton and Sex and the City Loved These Rhinestone Purses
- WAG Magazine - Celebrating the Creativity of Judith Leiber
- Dexigner - Judith Leiber: Crafting a New York Story
- East Hampton Star - Leiber Handbags Celebrated at the Museum of Arts and Design
- Hadassah Magazine - Judith Leiber: All in the Bag
- Couture Notebook, "Judith Leiber: Crafting a New York Story” with Crystal Minaudières
NO MERE BAGATELLES, the story of Holocaust survivor and handbag design genius Judith Leiber and modernist artist Gerson Leiber, has just been published. Read more here.