- The Garden of Friends – 2020
- Past Exhibitions
- 2008: Antique Chinese Porcelains from Eight Dynasties (206 BCE to 1912)
- 2009: Will Barnet Prints / Gerson Leiber Watercolors
- 2010: Japanese Woodblock Prints from the Leiber Collection
- 2011: DRAWINGS DRAWINGS DRAWINGS: Recent Works on Paper by Gerson Leiber
- 2012-2013 Judith Leiber – An American Journey : From Artisan To Fashion Icon
- 2014-2015: THE MARRIAGE OF TRUE MINDS ~ GERSON AND JUDITH LEIBER
- 2016 Two Exhibitions: Gerson and Judith Leiber
- Judith Leiber
- Gerson Leiber
- The Garden
SUMMER OF 2014 EXHIBITION
THE MARRIAGE OF TRUE MINDS ~ GERSON AND JUDITH LEIBER
The Leiber Collection is pleased to announce our Summer 2014 exhibition, The Marriage of True Minds ~ Gerson and Judith Leiber’, showcasing the extraordinary new paintings of Contemporary Modernist Painter, Gerson Leiber, as well as over 500 examples of Judith Leiber’s artful creations. The incredible artistry of these works is sure to amaze.
THE MARRIAGE OF TRUE MINDS:
A UNIQUE JOINT EXHIBITION OF TWO REMARKABLE ARTISTS
East Hampton, NY — Judith Leiber has designed handbags for nearly all the First Ladies from 1953 onward as well as for Academy Award, Grammy award, and Emmy award nominees. Her handbags are considered such unique works of art that 80 bags are in the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and many others are in the Corcoran Galleries, The Victoria and Albert Museum, and numerous regional museums around the United States.
The paintings, drawings, etchings, and lithographs of Judith’s husband, modernist artist Gerson Leiber, are also in many museums, including The Metropolitan Museum of Art, The Museum of Modern Art, The Whitney Museum, The Boston Museum of Fine Arts, The Philadelphia Museum of Fine Art, and many more.
Now, after more than 68 years of marriage, a marriage of true minds, the Leibers, who are in their nineties, will have their first, and perhaps only, joint exhibition of their work at their Renaissance-style, Palladian museum in East Hampton. The museum sits amidst seven acres of gardens, each one individually designed by Gerson Leiber. The museum and the gardens are open free-of-charge to visitors every Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday from Memorial Day to Labor Day.
In this joint exhibition, viewers can see the culmination of the Leibers’ manifold accomplishments that have taken distinctive shapes over the years. While their creative skills are entirely dissimilar, their fascination with color, composition, texture, and the need to be productive, creative artists has been a shared passion that has guided and enlivened their vocations for more than seven decades.
Judith’s handbags have been declared objets d’art by Geoffrey Beene; and in the New York Times, Hilton Kramer, the paper’s former premier art critic, praised Gerson for his mastery and skill of composition and color. Harold Koda, curator in charge of the Costume Institute of the Metropolitan Museum of Art, wrote: “…there is a beautiful resonance of aesthetic interests between Judith and Gerson, especially in their mutual love of brilliant color and rigorous structure.”
The Leiber Collectiion is located at 446 Old Stone Highway, Springs, East Hampton, NY. It is open from 1 PM to 4 PM every Saturday, Sunday, and Wednesday from the Memorial Day weekend through October. The website is www.leibercollection.org
- Back To The Garden - Portray Magazine
- FIU News – Jewish Museum of Florida-FIU to launch Judith Leiber: Master Craftsman
- Christie’s – The best museums for handbag collectors
- Long Island Weekly – New Nassau County Museum of Art Exhibition Highlights All Four Seasons
- Newsday – ‘The Seasons’ is in full bloom at Nassau County Museum of Art
- New York Post - The WWII love story behind NYC’s sparkliest handbags
- New York Magazine - Hillary Clinton and Sex and the City Loved These Rhinestone Purses
- WAG Magazine - Celebrating the Creativity of Judith Leiber
- Dexigner - Judith Leiber: Crafting a New York Story
- East Hampton Star - Leiber Handbags Celebrated at the Museum of Arts and Design
- Hadassah Magazine - Judith Leiber: All in the Bag
- Couture Notebook, "Judith Leiber: Crafting a New York Story” with Crystal Minaudières
NO MERE BAGATELLES, the story of Holocaust survivor and handbag design genius Judith Leiber and modernist artist Gerson Leiber, has just been published. Read more here.